There’s definitely a need to change that lumpy, hard and uncomfortable mattress that you’ve been using for almost a decade now. But if you’re the type whose being sentimental over your mattress or simply being in a tight budget or whatever the reason there may be then the memory foam mattress topper is your perfect match.
Memory Foam is one of the products of the revolutionized NASA technology that uses visco-elastic material. This material also known as visco-elastic polyurethane foam is able to conform to the body’s form then when the pressure is released goes back to its original form. The pioneers in this research where Chiharu Kubokawa and Charles A. Yost.
It was Swedish company called Fagerdala, one of Europe’s biggest producing companies of mattresses who have first conducted experiments for the use of the material.
This technology was not available to domestic use till Tempur-Pedic a Swedish Mattress company released its first set of products in Sweden. Due to the positive response of its consumers, it eventually spread to other parts of the globe.
Today, the memory foam technology is not only used in mattresses but has also been used in upholstery and subsequently as mattress toppers.
Benefits of Memory foam mattress toppers
The great thing about memory foam mattress toppers is that you can get most out of the full bed memory foam mattress, almost half the cost. Similar to other products under memory foams, there are many health benefits you can rip from your memory foam mattress topper. Memory foams are known to prevent pressure points when warmed by the body heat this happens during sleep or when some parts of the body are at rest. Because of this great benefit, many medical treatments use and recommend memory foams for patients who are bedridden preventing bed sores and which also helps alleviate pain.
People who suffer sleep disorders such as snoring and insomnia may benefit in using memory foam mattress toppers. Insomnia is caused by many discomforts such as arthritis and other joint pains. Having a memory foam mattress topper prevents these pressure points especially on the joints thus alleviating pain. People who snore are encouraged to sleep on their sides, having a comfortable position with a memory foam they stay at ease and avoids sleeping on their back. People with fibromyalgia and costochondritis can also find relief in pain by using this type of mattress topper.
A study also shows that sleeping on firm beds can cut off circulation causing the body to toss and turn during sleep which prevents the body to have quality sleep.
Memory foam mattress topper Maintenance
Aside from the numerous health benefits the memory foam mattress topper offers, there’s the benefit of lesser cleaning and maintenance of the mattress. The toppers are a great help in protecting the bed mattress from stains, accumulation of dust and mites. If the mattress has been used for a long time, there’s a possibility that a lot of mites are present. Having a memory foam mattress topper cover will prevent any mites from coming into contact to the user. Just make sure to have a zipper that is well enclosed to prevent any mites from escaping. Memory foam mattress toppers are known to be hypoallergenic, meaning they don’t accumulate dust or even mites.
If your bed partner loves to toss and turn during sleep, then you’ll find the memory foam mattress topper your best friend.
Tips For Purchasing Memory foam mattress toppers
The main key in buying memory foam mattress toppers is choosing the right density and thickness. Though each individual do have different preferences, listed below are some guidelines to help buyers in finding the right type of memory foam mattress toppers.
1. Soft or Hard. The best way to find out whether you’re comfortable with the topper is to try it out yourself before purchasing. If you want a softer mattress topper, a 3”-4” thick is best and 1” thick if you want it firm. Basically the thicker the softer.
2. Density. Another thing to look into memory foam mattress toppers is the density. Memory Foams are naturally denser than other foams. The lower the density the shorter the life of the bedding and high-density means have a better compression ratings. The best support can be 4.0 lb- 4.5 lb density especially with people who suffers joint pains and has an advantage of lasting longer.
3. Size. Like any other type of topper, when choosing a memory foam mattress topper its best to pick a size which fits the mattress perfectly. It’s best to measure the mattress of bed where it should be placed before purchasing. There a lot of sizes available for the memory foam mattress topper like double, queen, king, California king etc.
4. Price. The price for memory foam mattress toppers varies greatly on the size and thickness. You can compare and get price quotes on the many available online shops on the web.
5. Guarantee. Some companies issue a 10-year guarantee on their products.
6. Return Policy. Look for a return policy before purchasing the memory foam mattress bed topper. The company should either issue at least a price exchange policy or exchange upgrade policy. There will be instances where after several weeks of use the feel of sleeping on the topper might become uncomfortable.
7. Imitations. There are numerous imitations of the products under memory foams. It’s best to look into the company and ask details such as the source of their materials or how many years have they been providing memory foam bed toppers.
If you’re having doubts if the memory foam Mattress Bed Topper is for you, just think of the health benefits it can offer. Sleep is one of the most important activities that your body undergoes. It’s the time where restoration and mind processes undergo. Having a great sleep equates to better performance during the day. Even if you don’t suffer from insomnia or any other sleep disorder, the memory foam Mattress is able to prevent certain spinal and neck misalignments such as kyphosis or the curvature of the spinal cord.